af Chapman, formerly Dunboyne (1888–1915) and G.D. Kennedy (−1923), is a full-rigged steel ship moored on the western shore of the islet Skeppsholmen in central Stockholm, Sweden, now serving as a youth hostel.
The ship was constructed by the Whitehaven Shipbuilding Company, located in Whitehaven, Cumberland (present-day Cumbria), and launched in February 1888. She was originally known as Dunboyne, after a town in County Meath, Ireland. Her maiden voyage was from Maryport, Cumberland, England, to Portland, Oregon, and she subsequently made voyages between Europe, Australia and the west coast of North America. On her arrival in Sweden in 1915 she was renamed G. D. Kennedy and when the Swedish Navy bought her in 1923 she was given her present name after the shipbuilder and Vice Admiral Fredrik Henrik af Chapman (1721–1808). The Swedish Navy used her as a training ship and as such she made several trips around the world, running aground at Port Aleza, Puerto Rico, on 13 July 1934. Her final voyage was in 1934, but she served as a barracks ship during World War II (1939-1945).
In 1947 the Stockholm City Museum saved the ship from being broken up, and since 1949 af Chapman has been managed by the Svenska Turistföreningen (STF, Swedish Tourist Association). It serves as a youth hostel with 285 beds. During 2008 the ship underwent a comprehensive restoration. While the ship was being worked on in a drydock, the adjacent youth hostel Skeppsholmen remained open. Usually, the af Chapman and Skeppsholmen – not to be confused with the islet of the same name, on which both are situated – are run as a single hostel, with the af Chapman offering accommodation and Skeppsholmen housing the reception, a kitchen for guests, and other facilities. The ship is docked on the shore next to the Admiralty House.[en]